All About Mrs. Kohlwes
My name is Mrs. Lynn Kohlwes (pronounced Cole-vus) and I have been a teacher in the Lake Washington School District for 35 years. I have taught both in the general classroom for 10 years (grades 4-6th at Juanita, Samantha Smith, and Redmond Elementary) and as an elementary PE teacher. This is the beginning of my 25th year teaching Physical Education.
In addition to my home school which has always been Juanita Elementary, I have also taught PE as a traveling teacher at Wilder Elementary, Discovery School at Carl Sandburg, Alcott Elementary, Lakeview Elementary, Community School, Blackwell Elementary, Peter Kirk, Thoreau and Mark Twain Elementary. This year I will be traveling to Thoreau in the afternoons on Mondays and Thursdays.
I am also the Elementary PE Department Head, while still remaining Juanita Elementary's main "PE" teacher. I oversee all of the Lake Washington School District Elementary PE teachers. My duties include developing agendas for PE department meetings, coordinating professional development, managing the budget, and managing district wide PE events and programs.
Below are some "fun facts" about Mrs. Kohlwes
I attended and/or am graduate of:
- Vashon Island High School (1977) High School Degree
- DePauw University; Indiana (77'-79') First 2 years of college
- Washington State University (79'-81') Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts & Elementary Education
- Seattle Pacific University (1988) Masters in Education Administration with a Principal's Certificate
I taught in the regular classroom (4th & 5th grade) (10 years experience)
- 4th grade classroom teacher @ Juanita Elementary: 1983-88
- 5th grade classroom teacher @ Samantha Smith: 1988-90
- 4th grade classroom teacher @ Redmond Elementary: 1991-1994
I currently teach elementary PE (24 years experience)
- Juanita Elementary 1994-current
Schools I have traveled to to pick up additional PE Sections over the years.
- Wilder Elementary
- Discovery School at Sandburg
- Community School
- Alcott Elementary
- Blackwell Elementary
- Lakeview Elementary
- Twain Elementary
- Sandburg Elementary
- Peter Kirk Elementary
- Thoreau Elementary
I participated in the Fulbright Scholar Teacher Exchange
- Edinburgh, Scotland (1999-2000)
- I taught elementary PE in 5 different schools in the Tynecastle Cluster
Staff Development Instructor
- Technology Navigator Instructor (3 years)
- Technology Integration Instructor (14 years & currently)
- EIA (Educator Introduction Academy) Trainer (8 years & currently)
- Eastside Ski and Ride (Non-Profit Snow Ski and Board Program for kids 2nd-12th grade) (past 17 years & currently) We recently changed our name when we merged with Issaquah Ski and Snowboard School
- Chaperone (3 years)
- Loading Area Chair (5 years)
- Vice President (5 years)
- Secretary (1 year)
- Communications & Marketing (4 years and currently)
People to People Student Travel to Europe (summer 2015)
- Chaperone and Primary Leader (1 Year)
PTA (34 years)
- Volunteer for various Juanita Elementary Events (Art & Culture Fair, Jag A Thon Fund Raiser, and Carnival)
- Chairperson for my sons' school Family Dance, School Student Directory, Mariner Baseball Night, and Staff Appreciation, and my sons' 9th grade Moving Up Ceremony, and High School Senior Graduation Party
- PTA Secretary at Rose Hill Elementary
- My Kids Sports Teams
- Team Parties and Awards
On a personal note, I have been married 33 years to my husband, Brian Kohlwes, a commercial fisherman and substitute teacher. We have two grown sons; Kyle & Kory, who both graduated from Washington State University, Go Cougs! My youngest, Kory is getting married so we are excited to welcome his fiancé, Kate, to our family on September 8th, 2018.
We have lived in our two story home in the Rose Hill area in Kirkland for the past 33 years.
I look forward to another great year of teaching the Juanita Elementary Students. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about your child's PE program.
Mrs. Lynn Kohlwes (pronounced Cole-vus)
Work: 425-936-2570 #55715